Medical Receptionist-Internal Resource Team
Company: Trinity Health - IHA
Location: Ann Arbor
Posted on: March 26, 2020
Prior experience in a Medical Office required. POSITION
DESCRIPTION:Serves as a first point of contact for external
customers in the office and on the phone, as well as a liaison
between external customers and medical staff. Greets, instructs and
assists customers in obtaining needed services within the office
and IHA. Obtains and communicates necessary patient and office
visit information to billing staff and facilitates efficient
patient flow through the office and appropriate billing for
services.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Greets all individuals arriving at the office courteously and
ensures that their needs are met.
- Obtains necessary patient registration information, verifies
patient insurance eligibility, prepares charts for visits in
accordance with IHA protocols, and notifies clinical staff of
- Accurately completes patient forms, collects payment, and
ensures that charges are posted to the billing system.
- Retrieves and files EMR/paper charts and miscellaneous
- Answers telephone in accordance with IHA telephone etiquette
guidelines, taking and relaying messages in a timely manner.
- Schedules and confirms appointments based on office
- May oversee that daily payment and charge posting balancing is
completed and correct.
- May support overdue report management and patient
- Supports other offices, attends meetings and training as
- Performs other duties as assigned.ORGANIZATIONAL EXPECTATIONS:
- Creates a positive, professional, service-oriented work
environment for staff, patients and family members by supporting
the IHA CARES mission and core values statement
- Must be able to work effectively as a member of the reception
- Successfully completes IHA's "The Customer" training and
adheres to IHA's standard of promptly providing a high level of
service and respect to internal or external customers.
- Maintains knowledge of and complies with IHA standards,
policies and procedures, including IHA's Employee Handbook.
- Maintains complete knowledge of office services and in the use
of all relevant office equipment, computer, and manual systems
- Maintains strict patient and employee confidentiality in
compliance with IHA and HIPAA guidelines
- Serves as a role model, by demonstrating exceptional ability
and willingness to take on new and additional responsibilities.
Embraces new ideas and respects cultural differences.
- Uses resources efficiently.
- Monitors, organizes and keeps work area and waiting room
- If applicable, responsible for ongoing professional development
maintains appropriate licensure/certification and continuing
education credentials, participates in available learning
opportunities.MEASURED BY:Performance that meets or exceeds IHA
CARES Values expectation as outlined in IHA Performance Review
document, relative to position.ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS:EDUCATION:
High School Diploma or GED; course work in insurance/billing,
medical practice education or seminars are all
preferred.CREDENTIALS/LICENSURE: NoneMINIMUM EXPERIENCE: 1-2 years
of experience in a medical or physician office or customer service
environment preferred.POSITION REQUIREMENTS (ABILITIES & SKILLS):
- Excellent written (legible), verbal and face-to-face
communication skills, including proper phone etiquette.
- Proficient/knowledgeable in patient care procedures and
organizational policies related to position responsibilities.
- Service-oriented; responsive to customer needs and courteous in
- Proficient in operating a standard desktop and Windows-based
computer system, including but not limited to, electronic medical
records, Microsoft Word /Excel/Outlook, intranet and computer
- Ability to compute mathematical calculations.
- Knowledge of medical terminology to perform position
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment;
professional and friendly demeanor.
- Ability to work effectively with various levels of
organizational members and diverse populations including IHA staff,
patients, family members, vendors, outside customers and
- Ability to cross-train in other areas of practice in order to
achieve smooth flow of all operations.
- Good organizational and time management skills to effectively
juggle multiple priorities and time constraints.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and problem-solving
- Ability to handle patient and organizational information in a
- Ability to travel to other office/practice sites and meeting
and training locations.
- Successful completion of IHA competency-based program within
introductory and training period.MINIMUM PHYSICAL EXPECTATIONS:
- Physical activity that often requires keyboarding, filing and
- Physical activity that often requires extensive time working on
- Physical activity that sometimes requires walking, standing,
bending, stooping, reaching, and/or twisting.
- Physical activity that sometimes requires lifting, pushing
and/or pulling under 30 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth
perception, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust and
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier,
telephone, calculator and other office equipment.
- Must hear and speak well enough to conduct business over the
telephone or face to face for long periods of time in
English.MINIMUM ENVIRONMENTAL EXPECTATIONS:This job operates in a
typical office environment with some exposure to contagious
diseases/viruses. It requires significant interaction with people
(many of whom are scared, hurt and/or ill) which can be stressful
and result in competing priorities.
Keywords: Trinity Health - IHA, Ann Arbor , Medical Receptionist-Internal Resource Team, Administration, Clerical , Ann Arbor, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!