Senior Research Engineer I
Company: Mj3 Partners, Inc.
Posted on: May 12, 2022
Job DescriptionPOSITION QUESTIONNAIRE POSITION TITLE:Sr.
Research Engineer IDIVISION/LOCATION:Jackson, MISUPERVISOR
TITLE:R&D Manager – New Product Development GENERAL
FUNCTIONUnder the supervision of the R&D Manager – New Product
Development, the incumbent is responsible for research and project
management supporting new product development. This position will
facilitate introduction of new gypsum drywall finishing products to
market in a safe, efficient, and responsible manner through
collaboration with cross-functional stakeholders. The ability to
communicate across all levels of the organization will be essential
for this role in order to influence others and drive projects to
- Conduct research and development on formulations, additives,
processes, and applications related to the production of gypsum
drywall finishing products.
- Research alternative solutions for raw materials, production
equipment and processes, scrap mitigation and logistics, finished
goods packaging and transport, etc.
- Validate product performance against industry standards and/or
by developing internal criteria and methods of evaluation.
- Help develop new products and improvements to existing products
by working with sales, marketing, engineering, and R&D.
- Assist in developing, maintaining, and improving best practices
for engineering, quality, and production.
- Continuously evaluate workplace for safety concerns and ensure
behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
- Develop fundamental understanding of application-based needs of
products and translates the corresponding CTQs to technical and
- Management of individual projects along with participation and
support of other projects within the business.
- Lead and/or participate in cross-functional teams from concept
validation to industrialization of new product development projects
utilizing Gate process.
- Develop and encourage innovation and Intellectual Property (IP)
development and foster IP development through the patent process
with legal support.
- Proven ability to work in a production environment, build
relationships, and establish support to drive projects
- Utilize sound technical knowledge of materials, processes,
techniques, and products to improve on product performance, reduce
costs, maximize production, and to support new knowledge
- Manage and document projects effectively without supervision by
a technical leader.
- Demonstrate open and collaborative approach in all areas of
- Seek out others to enhance and streamline development and
- Able to communicate technically with internal and external
collaborators utilizing knowledge to advance projects and identify
- Identify opportunities that could benefit from innovative
solutions and work with R&D, operations, and technical teams to
- Provide technical support and assistance for trials,
commissioning, and troubleshooting of new technology.
- Responsible for thorough documentation and communication of
projects, trial reports, scientific developments, etc.
- Prepare trial plans and lead manufacturing trials.
- Responsible for developing and presenting project progress to
all levels of the organization.
- Coordinates work with external suppliers, institutes, and
MAGNITUDE - Provide monetary figures for the areas most
significantly impacted by this position. Items included may be
revenues, sales, budgets, purchases, etc. Company/Group/Unit Sales:
_____$1.6B___________ Controllable budget: _____N/A _ (Including
payroll) Other Significant Measures (please explain)PROBLEM SOLVING
- Briefly describe the nature of decision making of problem
solving, which is a part of this position. Include the extent to
which this position is governed by established practices, rules,
regulations, manuals, counsel/advice and independent thinking.This
position requires the ability to work independently with all levels
and functions of the organization to develop and industrialize new
solutions/products. Ability to leverage a competency-based
structure in a matrix organization is critical in facilitating
collaborative solutions. Strong analytical and data/fact-based
approach of troubleshooting and optimization in a team environment
is expected.KNOWLEDGE - Indicated the minimum level of formal
education and work experience, which is required to carry out the
responsibilities of this position. When considering the experience
requirement assume that the education standard has been satisfied.
Include any special knowledge, certification or license, which is
- BS Degree with a minimum of 6+ years' experience, or MS with 3+
years of experience, or entry level PhD in chemical, material or
mechanical engineering field, plus demonstrated technical
- Must possess a body of technical work commensurate with their
years of experience including but not limited to: demonstration of
familiarity with statistical tools, data analysis, and drawing
conclusions based on a collection of basic data and
- Previous experience in the field of polymer science, extrusion,
and processing is highly desired. Prior experience in drywall
finishing industry is a plus.
- Understanding of project management and project engineering
fundamentals is required.
- Proficiency in CAD, modeling, programming, and design software
- Demonstrates ability to work with colleagues at various levels,
network within and out of group, understanding of company policies,
and understanding of corporate structure.
- Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team
- Demonstrated knowledge of HSE.ORGANIZATION
CHARTSupervisorPeers: 2 Number Supervised: Direct 0 Indirect
Multiple COMMENTS - Indicate any physical/mental demands, which are
required to perform this job. Also, briefly include any information
relative to the position, which would impact successful job
performance. (e.g. nature of internal/external contacts, planning
activities, travel requirements)In addition to a regular office and
lab environment, this position frequently works within our
manufacturing plants and will require physical participation in
trials and pre-production manufacturing. Must be capable of wearing
personal protective equipment necessary to comply with government
and company safety standards. The ability to work with hourly
associates as well as skills in presenting information to senior
management will be expected. The candidate will be expected to be
able to create project schedules and execute actions to complete
assignments on those schedules. Travel will be required up to 30%
of the time. *Backups for this position will be determined by the
manager at the time and under the circumstances the need for a
backup is identified.
Keywords: Mj3 Partners, Inc., Ann Arbor , Senior Research Engineer I, Engineering , Jackson, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!