Executive Director - Beth Israel Congregation
Company: Boyden Boston
Location: Ann Arbor
Posted on: May 11, 2022
The Beth Israel Congregation community is looking for a dynamic
and experienced Executive Director (ED) to play a key leadership
role in sustaining and strengthening the congregation. BIC seeks an
inspiring and strategic partner who will collaborate and engage
with members, prospective members, the Ann Arbor community and
Since its establishment in 1916, Beth Israel Congregation has had a
decisive influence on Jewish life in Washtenaw County. For many
years, it was the only Jewish congregation in Ann Arbor. Beth
Israel was one of the first conservative congregations in southeast
Michigan to become an egalitarian congregation, and the first
congregation in the country to select a woman president.
Participation by lay leaders, professionals, and community members
in leading or chanting the service is an important part of the
culture of the congregation. Its relaxed and comfortable services
reflect Ann Arbor's diversity.
The Search Committee is seeking an experienced Executive Director
to work closely with synagogue leadership, clergy, professional
staff, and lay leaders, to promote and maintain a warm and
welcoming community for its members, as well as to connect and
develop relationships with co-workers, vendors, and the community
The Executive Director will oversee the human, financial and
physical resources of the synagogue and is responsible for overall
management of the congregation's administrative and financial
affairs. This includes oversight of all board and synagogue
committees, financial management, record keeping, personnel,
communications, security, building, fundraising and membership.
Serving as a partner to Rabbi Nadav Caine (Rav Nadav), the ED will
have a unique opportunity to engage with the Board and the
community to create meaningful and robust volunteer opportunities,
structures, and programs to implement the Congregation's emerging
strategic plan and vision for the future.
The Ann Arbor Jewish community is a vibrant ecosystem with a
thriving Federation, JCC, and key service agencies. Working
together to provide a robust menu of experiences, the community
embraces all and looks to BIC as a key partner in its activities
Experience & Qualifications
- BA/BS required; Master's degree in finance, non-profit
management or business administration preferred.
- At least 5+ years of relevant experience in management,
including managing finances/accounting, staff, facilities, and
- Knowledge of financial management systems, including financial
planning and budgeting, accounting systems and controls, financial
reporting and analysis; understanding of GAAP and fund accounting
for non-profits preferred.
- Experience in fundraising for non-profits preferred.
- Exceptional organizational and project management
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong IT and computer skills, including ability to understand
and implement technology needs to support the operations.
Experience with ShulCloud and QuickBooks a plus.
- Excellent problem solver, with skills to find answers and
- Ability to mentor and lead an effective team, nurture strong
relationships, and foster an environment of warmth and
- Knowledge of human resource management, with demonstrated
success in managing, motivating, and developing office and
- Experience in facility administration, outside contracting for
services, and negotiations with vendors and contractors.
- Knowledge of computer and web-based systems and social media to
support administration, events, membership and marketing.
- Experience with volunteer and event management.
- Self-starter and creative problem solver with strong
interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to
communicate effectively (both orally and in writing) and
efficiently prioritize responsibilities. Must be able to take
initiative to improve processes.
- Enthusiastic, organized, highly motivated, responsible,
courteous, flexible and creative. Must have a sense of
- Availability to be physically present at the synagogue for
selected religious holidays and events. May involve weekends and
evenings. More than a 9 to 5 job.
- The Executive Director must be available to participate in
local and national organizations as it relates to professional
development, and the ability to network with other administrators
in the field.
- Knowledge and understanding of Jewish culture, customs and
To apply or nominate someone, please send cover letter and resume
to Wendy Wilsker, Managing Partner, Boyden Boston or .
Keywords: Boyden Boston, Ann Arbor , Executive Director - Beth Israel Congregation, Executive , Ann Arbor, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!