Psychiatry - Department Chair Opportunity
Company: Trinity Health
Location: Ann Arbor
Posted on: November 17, 2023
Trinity Health IHA Medical Group and Trinity Health Ann Arbor
are seeking a physician leader to serve as our Psychiatry
Department Chair in Ann Arbor, Michigan. This is a full-time role
with .5 FTE for administrative work and .5 FTE clinical practice
through employment with our medical group. This is an excellent
opportunity for a Board Certified and experienced Psychiatry
physician to serve as the Psychiatry Department Chair while also
maintaining a clinical practice.We are looking for a dynamic and
forward-thinking leader to serve in this Department Chair role.
Candidates should have excellent collaborative skills and be
comfortable in a team-based environment.The Department of
Psychiatry Chair will be responsible for overseeing the
professional work of its members and those Advanced Practice
Professionals in the Department. The Department Chair shall be
responsible to the Trinity Health Ann Arbor and Livingston Medical
Executive Committees for the performance of duties within the
Department and shall be a participating member of those
Committees.Duties and Authorities of the Ann Arbor, Livingston, and
- Establishes, credentialing standards by creating a system DOP
with criteria for privilege and criteria for maintenance of
- Establishes the indicators and thresholds for the system
Ongoing Professional Performance Evaluation (OPPE). OPPE should
include elements of ambulatory practice evaluation for those
practitioners who may only have an outpatient practice associated
with the local site.
- Accountable for OPPE rollup reports to System Physician
Leadership Council (as needed regarding OPPE that leads to peer
- Accountable for peer review functions within the department
including receiving reports on peer review and quality reports from
the Local Chairs.
- Oversees a program of orientation and continuing education for
all individuals who have clinical privileges.
- Establishes clinical care standards and required policies and
procedures to ensure standards are upheld.
- Assures that the quality and appropriateness of clinical care
are monitored and evaluated and that appropriate actions based on
findings are taken, including continuing surveillance of the
professional performance of all individuals in the Department who
have delineated clinical privileges; and maintenance of quality
control programs, as appropriate; (may delegate portions of QA
program to the Local Chair).
- Determines necessity for department officers and section heads
in consultation with Local Chair.
- Must be an Active or Affiliate member of the medical staff at
all local sites they oversee.
- Makes recommendations to executive management on workforce
planning and space and other related resource needs (including
off-site sources for needed patient care, treatment and services
not provided by the department or organization) that are related to
alignment issues of mutual interests.
- Oversees the administrative related activities of the
department and ensures the department is integrated into the
primary functions of the health system.
- In conjunction with CAAO, establishes the GME and research
strategies for the system department.
- Serves as a member of the System Physician Leadership
- Chair of the Department Executive Council that consists of the
local site chairs.
- Appoints medical directors for clinical services and off-site
SJMHS locations and ensures a mechanism to evaluate the
effectiveness of these medical director roles.
- Determines qualifications and competencies of Department or
service personnel who are not licensed independent practitioners
and who provide patient care services.
- Formulates specific regulations and policies applicable to the
Department, including monitoring of Department Rules and
Regulations.Assigns Duties for the Medical Directors and Medical
Directors or Program Director Psychiatry (some elements may be
shared with System Hospital Chairs):--
- Recommends privileges for local site based on system DOP for
all individuals who have responsibility for providing clinical care
at the local site.
- Oversees clinical practice related to all local quality and
safety initiatives that include monitoring and continuing
surveillance of the professional performance of those individuals
with privileges at the local site.
- Prepares a summary of quality and peer review issues on a
quarterly basis to the Hospital and Medical Group CMOs and the
Chief of Staff.
- Monitors agreed upon OPPE and FPPE for practitioners at the
local site and presents this information to the local MEC.
- Monitors agreed upon Ongoing Professional Practice Evaluation
(OPPE) for practitioners at the local site and sends this
information to the Hospital CMOs so it can be included in routine
quality review processes.
- Recommends to the Administration and Medical Staff the type and
amount of space and equipment necessary for administering clinical
care at the local site.
- Ensures recruitment efforts in Psychiatry department for
physicians and APPs are strategic in nature and allow growth and
stability in the program.
- Works collaboratively with other departments to ensure
strategic objectives and seamless care for patients is
- Ensures improvement in physician/ APP Engagement and Safety
- Support program access within the Psychiatry department to
ensure patients can receive care timely and seamlessly.
- Works with regional Psychiatry program leaders to assess for
opportunities to improve access and where possible a regional
- Makes recommendations regarding workforce planning for the
local site to deliver safe and effective care.
- Develops local tactics and methods to meet system physician
performance standards and expectations.
- Works to assure that relevant educational programs are offered
at the site on a routine and timely basis.
- Participates in the operational aspects of policies that relate
to the functions of department and department members at the local
- Participates in interdisciplinary committees and teams to
better understand local care issues and help to identify and
implement solutions to those issues.
- Coordinates and integrates department services with other local
- Represents the Department at the local Executive Committee of
the Medical Staff.
- Assigns local proctors when appropriate.
- Enforces the Medical Staff Bylaws and these Rules and
Regulations; and ensures operations of specific regulations and
policies are carried out by department members at the local
site.Qualifications for this opportunity include:
- Board certification by the American Board of Psychiatry and
- Administrative/Executive experience required.
- Candidate should be able to handle management of the day to day
for the entire department.
- Must be an Active Staff member of the Department.
- Must remain a member in good standing of the Trinity Health Ann
Arbor and Livingston Medical Staffs during tenure of office.Ann
Arbor is a bustling university town, culinary hotspot, and tech hub
with a walkable downtown. Home to the University of Michigan and
its more-than 38,000 students, as well as other nearby colleges and
universities including Cleary, Concordia and Washtenaw Community
College, Ann Arbor can be considered the education capital of the
Midwest. The city also boasts a nationally recognized public school
system and a variety of private and parochial schools.Regularly
receiving national attention as one of the best places to live in
the nation, Ann Arbor is much more than a university town; it is
home to more than 100 high tech, research, and light-?industrial
employers. Major employers outside the university and government
also call Ann Arbor home.??This diverse community has an array of
attractions, with more than 200 restaurants; shopping, including
the year-round Ann Arbor Farmers Market; world-class museums;
galleries; theaters; and clubs with live music. Annual cultural
events include the Ann Arbor Summer Festival, Ann Arbor Blues and
Jazz Festival and the Ann Arbor Art Fair, which draws thousands of
visitors from all over the globe to the downtown area every
summer.This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional
Psychiatry physician to lead the Psychiatry department at Trinity
Health Mercy Ann Arbor.RECRUITMENT PACKAGE--An excellent
compensation and benefits package is available for the right
Keywords: Trinity Health, Ann Arbor , Psychiatry - Department Chair Opportunity, Healthcare , Ann Arbor, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!