Medical Technologist- Part Time (20hrs/wk) - Macomb/Afternoons
Company: Henry Ford Hospital
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Under general supervision, performs routine and complex analytic
procedures on blood and/or other body fluids or specimens,
involving manual techniques or the use of laboratory instruments
and information systems.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs routine and complex biological, chemical, cytological,
hematological, histologic, immunological, microscopic, and/or
bacteriological tests procedures on laboratory specimens, using
manual or automated techniques and information systems, for the
purpose of diagnosing, preventing, or treatment of disease.
- The Medical Technologist is qualified to perform all duties of
the Medical Technologist job, and in a given job situation may or
may not perform all of the duties; actual duties will pertain to
the specific Medical Technologist position.
- Applies knowledge, training, and independent clinical judgment
to take action and/or develop solutions.
- Collaborates with leadership staff to improve processes and
resolve problems, including: Evaluating instrument performance and
quality control results to ensure the accuracy and reliability of
all analytic data prior to release; Correlating results with other
lab data and/or disease states; Identification of technical,
instrument, pharmacologic and/or physiologic causes of unexpected
- Performs calibration, preventive maintenance, quality control,
and troubleshooting of laboratory equipment, instruments and/or
laboratory information systems.
- Following successful completion of competency testing may
perform processing, testing, and reporting without direct
- Complies with established departmental and institutional
policies and procedures, including compliance, quality assessment
and improvement, safety, environmental, and infection control.
Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Participates in various quality assessment and improvement
activities including, proficiency testing, gathering data for
quality assurance monitors, developing and adhering to safe work
practices, participating in quality improvement committees, and
successfully completes regular competency assessments.
- Maintains the laboratory and procedures in inspection ready
- Communicates with internal and external customers, including
nurses, physicians and other health care workers concerning
laboratory results, procedures, technology, and related
- Provides direction and guidance for questions and/or problems
referred by medical laboratory technicians or other staff.
- Assists in the development and/or designing of new test
procedures and/or methodologies.
- Participates in the evaluation, correlation, and introduction
of new instruments or procedures.
- Helps validate new laboratory information system software.
- Prepares and maintains documentation as needed.
- Participates in the instruction (theory and practice) of
laboratory science to students, residents and new employees.
- Attends, participates in, and presents department continuing
education and in-service programs.
- May perform phlebotomy or other related duties as assigned or
- Completion of accredited Bachelor's Degree program in medical
technology, medical laboratory sciences, or clinical laboratory
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Microbiology, or Biology may be
considered if completed coursework aligns with the duties of the
specific Medical Technologist position.
- Coursework completed outside of the US must be verified by a
NACES approved credential evaluation service.
- Requires six months experience in a medical laboratory
- Demonstrated technical proficiency and theoretical knowledge
sufficient to perform laboratory functions are required.
- Must meet or exceed core customer service responsibilities,
standards and behaviors as outlined in the HFHS' Customer Service
Policy and summarized below: Communication, Ownership,
Understanding, Motivation, Sensitivity, Excellence, Teamwork,
- Must practice the customer skills as provided through on-going
training and in-services. Must possess the following personal
qualities: Be self-directed, Be flexible and committed to the team
concept, Demonstrate teamwork, initiative and willingness to learn,
Be open to new learning experiences, Accepts and respects diversity
without judgment, Demonstrates customer service values
- Certification at the technologist level from a nationally
recognized agency, such as ASCP, NCA, ASM, AABB, ACS, or HEW is
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Regularly exposed to infection from disease-bearing specimens,
organs and tissues.
- Regular exposure to electrical equipment, chemicals, odors,
changing temperatures, and frequent interruptions.
- May handle absentee replacement on short notice.
- May require prolonged standing, walking, and the ability to
lift/carry up to 25 lbs.
- Vision Near Acuity: Ability to see clearly at 20 inches or
- Depth Perception: Ability to judge distance and space
- Accommodation: Ability to adjust vision to bring objects into
- Color Vision: Ability to distinguish and identify different
colors necessary to perform job functions.
- Eye and face protection, gown, lab coat, apron, mask,
non-sterile medical gloves and utility gloves as required by task
Keywords: Henry Ford Hospital, Ann Arbor , Medical Technologist- Part Time (20hrs/wk) - Macomb/Afternoons, Other , Clinton, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!