Empowering people who build the future.
The Metallurgical Technician - Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Technician is responsible for the testing, inspecting, documenting,
and communication of product quality.
The industrial Metallurgical Technician - Nondestructive Testing
(NDT) Technician position is accountable for utilizing Visual,
Ultrasonic, Magnetic Flux Leakage, Eddy Current, Magnetic Particle,
liquid penetrant and mechanical techniques to test and inspect
steel bars. Calibrating sensitive inspection equipment, Setting up
for production tests and evaluations to determine the acceptance or
rejection of material and communicating non-conformities to
production and other support personnel to ensure customers receive
quality product that adhere to regulatory codes, standards,
internal criteria and specifications.
Actively participate in and support plant operations. This
position reports to the NDT Routine Facilitator, no supervision is
received in normal operating conditions as this position functions
as part of a self-directed work team.
Responsible for following all plant and department safety rules
and accident prevention programs within established company
guidelines. Engages in safety and cost saving initiatives,
including housekeeping 5S activities and the IDEAS program.
Notifies appropriate parties when non-conforming or suspect
material has been identified or shipped.
Must be capable of calibrating and standardizing Ultrasonic,
Magnetic Flux Leakage, Eddy Current equipment, operating metal
cutting tools including saws, abrasive cut-off wheels, disc
sanders, grinders, and natural gas torches, to section steel
samples. Prove-up results of inspection equipment to validate
equipment operation and identify nature of defects.
Operate computer software associated with NDT equipment and
operating mainframe. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
Timely and accurate workflow must be performed in line with daily
Must be capable of learning general knowledge of steel
processing and how it affects quality of the product. Must be
capable of passing in house level 1 and level 2 Nondestructive
training courses in each discipline applied.
NDT operator performs maintenance of test equipment to ensure
- Follow all site Health, Safety, Environmental, and Quality
- Responsible for assisting in the attainment of predetermined
quality goals as established by the company.
- Responsible for participating in the creation standard
practices for control methods.
- Responsible for adhering to all plant and department rules for
safety and work procedures.
- Responsible to participate in proper, efficient, and effective
work methods that improve quality and production capacity.
- Cooperates with other departments to maintain minimum downtime
- Assists in the creation and/or modification of procedures.
- Responsible for completing all required annual safety and
- Actively participates in Failure Analysis methodology.
- Responsible for the performance of other duties, as
- Participate in team FMEA Failure Mode Effects Analysis, and
performance of equipment POD probability of detection MSA
Measurement System Analysis.
Nearest Major Market: Jackson Michigan
Nearest Secondary Market: Ann Arbor