Medical Assistant Family Medicine - Full Time 40 Hours/Week Day Shift - Macomb
Company: Henry Ford Hospital
Posted on: June 7, 2021
NEW PAY RATES STARTING AT $16.50/HOUR
Under direct supervision of the provider and nursing leadership,
performs a variety of administrative and clinical tasks to assist
in the quality and compassionate care provided to patients. These
duties include the greeting and escorting of patients to the exam
room; taking medical histories, the measurement and recording of
vital signs; preparing patients for the examination/procedure; and
assisting the physician during the examination/procedure.
Demonstrates clinical competence as a Medical Assistant.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform initial-response screening following protocols approved
by supervising physician.
- Escort patient to room and prepares patient for examination,
procedure and treatment.
- Obtain vital signs and record in the EHR.
- Obtain, evaluate, and record patient history employing critical
- Prepare for, set up and assist with examinations, procedures,
and treatments per protocols, policies, and procedures.
- Prepare and administer oral, parenteral medications and
immunizations as ordered by the supervising physician based on
Henry Ford Medical Group medication policy. Documents medication
administration following the six rights in the EHR.
- Maintain medication and immunization records.
- Documents care provider during patient visit in EHR.
- Recognize and respond to emergencies.
- Responds to patient requests via telephone encounter, In Basket
message and/or My Chart according to identified time frames and
documents responses in the EHR.
- Monitors and performs in basket duties to ensure timely
- Enters medication, radiology and lab orders in the electronic
health record for provider sign off.
- Discharges patient providing after visit instructions to
patient and/or caregiver as directed by the provider.
- Enters medication refill orders per protocol.
- Collect and process specimens.
- Perform CLIA-waived tests.
- Perform electrocardiography, respiratory and other testing
based on department needs.
- Perform phlebotomy, including venipuncture and capillary
- Serve as a liaison between patients and medical staff in the
event of problems or complaints.
- Schedule, coordinate, and monitor appointments.
- Schedule outpatient procedures.
- Apply third party and managed care policies, procedures and
- Obtain insurance pre-authorizations.
- Enters referrals for provider sign off.
- Participate in departmental/divisional Quality Assessment and
Quality Improvement Programs.
- Practice Standard Precautions, including hand washing and
disposal of biohazardous materials.
- Apply principles of aseptic and sterile technique.
- Clean instruments and equipment per policies and
- Comply with all HFHS and departmental specific safety
- Maintain compliance with regulatory standards regarding
practice, environment and documentation.
- Function as a health care advocate to meet individual's
- Educate individuals in office policies and procedures.
- Educate the patient within the scope of practice and as
directed by supervising physician in health maintenance, disease
prevention, and compliance with patient's treatment plan.
- Identify community resources for health maintenance and disease
prevention to meet individual patient needs.
- Uphold goals, policies, procedures and expectations of the
Henry Ford Health System (HFHS).
- Support the mission, vision, and values of the HFHS.
- Maintain examination/treatment rooms, including inventory of
supplies and equipment.
- Maintain core and applicable specialty competencies as defined
by the Henry Ford Health System.
- Other duties as assigned within scope of practice.
- Graduate from a Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health
Education Programs (CAAHEP) or Accrediting Bureau of Health
Education Schools (ABHES) Medical Assistant Program, OR
- Graduate of a formal medical assistant program, OR
- Graduate of a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program.
- Completion of a clinical externship.
- Ability to perform a wide variety of clinical skills as related
to ambulatory patient care.
- Basic computer knowledge and keyboarding skills.
- Successful completion of HFMG pharmacology class and test.
- Current BLS-C certificate.
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or Registered Medical
Assistant (RMA) preferred
Keywords: Henry Ford Hospital, Ann Arbor , Medical Assistant Family Medicine - Full Time 40 Hours/Week Day Shift - Macomb, Other , Clinton, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!