Hospital Cook II
Company: University Of Michigan
Location: Ann Arbor
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
All applicants must submit a resume when applying.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations
and communities through excellence in education, patient care,
community service, research and technology development, and through
leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally.
Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three
critical components; patient care, education and research that
together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in
the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and
technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical
School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000
employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop
outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become
one of the world's most distinguished academic health systems. In
some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this
world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a
victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your
very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings.
- Complete daily prep list including but not limited to weighing
ingredients, preparing salads, cleaning, slicing, dicing, chopping,
and peeling fruits and vegetables, slicing meat, preparing salad
dressings, etc. Also includes portioning salads, desserts and
- Coordinate and perform the preparation, portioning, and
distribution of salads.
- Heat up food and prepare steam table for lunch/dinner service.
Prepare hot and cold sandwiches and soups.
- Assist on the hot production line during breaks and peak meal
times. Includes portioning and serving food over a counter and from
a steam table. Prepare grilled foods such as hamburgers, eggs,
bacon, French toast, pancakes, etc. cooked to order.
- Combine ingredients and prepare regular and modified diet food
products, including entrees, soups, sauces, gravies, casseroles,
meats, and vegetables by utilizing conventional cooking methods and
procedures and standardized recipes.
- Perform ongoing verbal communication between coworkers and at
- Disassemble, operate, clean, and reassemble conventional
cooking equipment, including grills, broilers, steamers, skillets,
convection ovens, and other related food processing equipment.
- Operate mixing machines, toasters, slicer, and choppers.
- Clean food service equipment, counters, utensils, and assigned
areas of work.
- Maintain security and inventory control of prepared foods and
related supplies by adhering to established storage and handling
- Prepare convenience food items, including prepared casseroles
and vegetables for serving by performing such duties as placing and
removing from an oven or a stove and setting heating temperatures
in accordance with specific instructions.
- Rethermalize foods according to standardized methods and
- Combine ingredients and finish convenience/cook-chill food
products by adding toppings/garnishes, baking off, and portioning
- Label and date food items according to departmental and
- Check and record refrigerator temperatures according to
established procedures, and report any problems to supervisor.
- Measure and weigh ingredients.
- Receive and store supplies.
- Be flexible with work schedules, job tasks, and job changes.
This includes but is not limited to working holidays and picking up
additional duties when a coworker is absent.
- Minimum of one year of culinary experience in a fast-paced food
service environment, which includes hot production line
- Ability to successfully pass the ServSafe Food Handlers
Certification within 90 days of employment.
- Ability to multitask and work at a fast pace.
- Ability to perform physical job tasks safely. This includes but
is not limited to lifting up to 50 lbs, bending, reaching, standing
(up to 8 hours), and pushing and pulling up to 35 lbs.
- Demonstrate excellent communication by having the ability to
read English with comprehension, listen effectively, speak and
write clearly, and accurately follow written instructions.
- Ability to perform excellent customer service. This includes
but is not limited to demonstrating respect for coworkers, working
effectively on a team as well as working independently with minimal
guidance, and ensuring that food items are served to patients as
per established service and quality standards.
- Ability to understand the importance of following standardized
recipes and portioning as it relates to meeting patients nutrition
needs and ensuring their health and safety.
- Experience in estimating consumption levels and generating prep
- Ability to rotate stock using First In First Out method. This
includes identifying and discarding all expired products.
- Excellent attendance history.
The position is primarily responsible for cooking on the hot
Schedule is Friday - Tuesday, 2:30pm-9pm. Off Days:
This position is covered under the collective bargaining
agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union, which contains and
settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and
other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and
pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a
contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to
conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed
in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug
testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or
additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers
from other U-M campuses.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative
HOSPITAL COOK II
HOSPITAL COOK II
Michigan Medicine - Health Sys
Ann Arbor, MI
MM Patient Food Service
5/31/2021 - 6/05/2021
$40,081.60 - $41,288.00
Service/Maintenance Grade 05
Patient Dietary / Nutrition Services
Service / Maintenance (AFSCME Union)
Keywords: University Of Michigan, Ann Arbor , Hospital Cook II, Other , Ann Arbor, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!