Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position
and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover
letter should address your specific interest in the position and
outline skills and experience that directly relate to this
The University of Michigan is seeking a Plumbing Supervisor for
Hospital Maintenance. The successful candidate will have direct
supervision over and manage the work of union maintenance personnel
in the completion of hospital plumbing preventative and corrective
The Hospital Maintenance Team is responsible for the 24/7
operation and maintenance of the hospital and out-building
infrastructure which includes but is not limited to the following
systems: medical gases, HVAC, electrical power, process, domestic,
and RO water, pneumatic tube, life safety (doors, fire alarm, fire
suppression, power), plumbing, electronic and pneumatic building
controls, and interior and exterior architectural finishes.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people
of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating,
communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic
values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge
the present and enrich the future.
- Manage the installation and corrective/preventive maintenance
of plumbing, medical gas/vacuum and steam systems.
- Manage a team consisting of Union (Skilled Trades) licensed
plumber/pipefitters and (AFSCME) Maintenance Mechanics.
- Manage an off-shift Plumbing Infrastructure Project Team
consisting of 4-6 licensed plumber/pipefitters.
- Maintain required regulatory documentation (Medical gas/Vacuum,
backflow certification etc).
- Estimate job requirements, including staffing, equipment and
- Monitor work activity levels and maximize staffing to work
- Train employees in new or revised work methods and
- Participate in the resolution of employee complaints and
- Participate and contribute to various operational meetings and
- Inspect equipment and facilities to assure proper use and
- Interview and recommend the employment of applicants for union
- Ensure staff meets current licensing requirements and maintain
records or licensure.
- Manage outside contractors, vendors and trades for in house
- Ensure accountability of department work records and staff
utilized for work performed.
- Coordinate the flow of work and services, managing the timely
completion of preventative and corrective maintenance to meet
monthly and annual key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Accountable for scheduling of maintenance activities utilizing
established scheduling process and software with local building
- Assist in the resolution of inter-departmental operating
- Maintain and enforce safety standards to assure compliance with
University, State and Federal codes and applicable
- Respond to infrastructure emergencies and determine corrective
actions and/or resources to coordinate in order to facilitate
- Administer labor force supervised to work processes, material
acquisition, and installation and when necessary, discipline in
accordance with University disciplinary guidelines.
- Evaluate staff skill levels, establish, communicate and obtain
industry leading standards of work performance.
- Cooperate with department Training Coordinator and others to
deliver training necessary to permit staff to meet/exceed set
- Plan and recommend objectives or programs concerning
departmental operating standards.
- Participate in the ongoing Facilities & Operations goals and
visioning processes for continuous improvement.
- Respond to inquiries and complaints from customers, staff, and
peer patient services departments.
- Initiate and accurately prepare and submit timely forms and
records, including payroll, inventory records and material
- Specify, order, and manage shop supplies and equipment within
governing procurement policies and regulations and with a focus to
- Assure self and staff compliance to department & University
policies regarding key controls, vehicles, uniforms, attendance,
documentation, corporate compliance, integrity, patient privacy and
- Participate in supervisor on-call program and weekend on-site
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in Maintenance,
Engineering, Architecture, Construction, or Facilities Management
with progressive responsibility over budget, labor resources,
project complexity, and/or volume of work
- State of Michigan Licensed Journeyman Plumber
- Current State of Michigan Backflow Certification
- Graduation from high school or equivalent
- Excellent leadership, oral and written communication
- Competence with personal computers and software including, but
not limited to MS Word, Outlook, and Excel
- The ability to quickly gain competence with new and complex
concepts, software, and business/managerial techniques
- The ability to function effectively in a high pressure
environment; and knowledge of the materials, equipment and
techniques used in maintenance and repair
- Computer maintenance management system/work order experience at
a managerial level capable of extracting/generating reports and
presentation of data/analysis
- State of Michigan Licensed Master Plumber
- Medical Gas Installation Certification
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of regulatory compliance
requirements within a healthcare environment (Joint Commission
- At least 7 years of management experience
- Supervisory experience in a health care setting
- Associates degree or Bachelor's degree in a related field such
as Maintenance, Engineering, Architecture, Construction, Facilities
Licensure & Certification
As applicable to trades field or professional degree
As an exempt position, flexible hours are as required, but
typically are Monday through Friday from 7am to 3:30pm. Incumbent
must be available for consultation or call-in to address emergency
situations arising during non-scheduled hours.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification
depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse
workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse
people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university,
and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives
and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job
candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a
third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background
checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days.
This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime
after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative
Plumbing Maintenance Supervisor
Skilled Crafts Sr Supervisor
Michigan Medicine - Health Sys
Ann Arbor, MI
MM Facilities Administration
5/19/2021 - 6/16/2021
Engineering & Architecture
Director / Manager / Supervisor
Healthcare Admin & Support