Anesthesia Tech Full Time Evenings Ann Arbor
Company: Trinity Health Corporation
Location: Ann Arbor
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, one of the nation's top health
care services providers, spanning five counties in Southeastern
Michigan. SJMHS represents more than 2,700 physicians and 14,000
nurses and staff, and includes 6 Hospitals, 5 Outpatient Health
Centers, 8 Urgent Care Facilities and over 25 Specialty
Employees of St. Joseph Mercy Health System enjoy
o Competitive compensation
o Full benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, PTO,
Life Insurance and Disability
o Retirement savings plan with employer contribution
o Opportunity for growth and advancement throughout SJMHS and
o Free, on-campus parking
Visit www.stjoeshealth.org/careers to learn more about the
benefits, culture and career development opportunities available to
you at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System.
Anesthesia technicians are integral members of the anesthesia
patient care team who assist anesthesiologists and nurse
anesthetists in a variety of specialized and complex invasive and
non-invasive anesthesia procedures. The anesthesia technician
provides patient care in collaboration with licensed anesthesia
providers by preparing the patient and assisting in monitoring the
patient's condition during various anesthesia procedures. They take
into consideration age specific, developmental, and cultural needs
of the patient. The anesthesia technician also insures the
acquisition, preparation, and application of the equipment and
supplies that are required for the administration of anesthesia.
The anesthesia technicians have on-call responsibilities and are
available to the Department of Anesthesiology 24-hours a day, seven
days a week for needed technical assistance and support.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Assists anesthesia professional staff as requested.
- Anticipates need for invasive procedures according to daily OR
- Assists in preparation and draping of patients for invasive
- Assists and anticipates needs of anesthesiologists in invasive
monitor insertion and procedures such as pulmonary artery catheter,
central venous access, fiber optic intubation, and/or difficult
- Assists with the preparation of patients for the induction of
anesthesia, including, but not limited to placement of blood
pressure cuff, ECG leads, pulse oximeter, and connection of
transducing devices as well as assisting with positioning of
- Performs daily checks of all anesthetizing location to insure
appropriate equipment is available and functioning properly.
- Under direct supervision of a licensed anesthesia provider,
assists with the initiation of regional anesthesia procedures such
as epidural, spinal, regional, sympathetic, or intravenous regional
- Gains competence in ultrasound machine. Assists with ultrasound
guided nerve block.
- Under limited supervision, starts an intravenous line when
requested by a licensed anesthesia provider. (If certified to do
- Assists with difficult airway procedures including preparation
of equipment (Fiberoptic and Glidescope), assistance with airway
procedures and maintenance of equipment.
- Assists licensed anesthesia provider with volume infusions,
running rapid infusion pump, as directed during intraoperative
- Monitors EKG, arterial line, pulmonary artery wave forms during
placement of such.
- In an emergency situation, under the direct supervision of
licensed anesthesia provider, may check blood with Registered Nurse
according to established policy.
- Actively participates in emergency situations, including CPR,
according to established policy.
- Demonstrates dependability of participation in department
anesthesia technician call coverage.
- Responds to requests from staff in a timely fashion.
- Provides technical support to the anesthesia professional staff
in the pre-operative, peri-operative, and post-operative areas for
the delivery of safe, efficient, ad cost-effective anesthesia
- Maintains the availability of necessary equipment in each
- Prepares and assembles transducer lines and equipment necessary
for arterial, central venous, and pulmonary artery pressure
monitoring as necessary or requested.
- Demonstrates detailed technical knowledge and trouble-shooting
ability for anesthesia delivery system, Scavenger system, gas
analyzer, EKG, pulse oximeter, and rapid infusion devices.
- Performs well under extreme pressure or life threatening
- Makes available, assembles, and assists with operation of
specialized equipment such as humidification units, warming
devices, fiber optic endoscopic equipment and rapid infusion
- Maintains and organizes the anesthesia environment, equipment,
and supplies to facilitate departmental functioning.
- Maintains the cleanliness and organization of the anesthesia
work stations on a daily basis.
- Maintains, inspects, and replaces as necessary a safe and
secure sharps disposal system.
- Maintains supply stock in workrooms and all anesthesia work
stations in rotational status.
- Inventories, orders, and maintains departmental supply stock
consistent with department demand.
- Maintains carbon dioxide absorbers as scheduled.
- Recognizes and adheres to universal precautions in all clinical
- Handles equipment and items correctly to insure ever present
usability and safety of supplies and materials.
- Has knowledge of where all supplies are kept and is able to
retrieve and store accordingly.
- Reports equipment in need of repair.
- Checks on return of equipment that has been in repair.
- Performs all job duties of an anesthesia technician I.
- Stocks operating room with all necessary anesthesia equipment
- Cleans all anesthesia equipment in the operating room and POCA
after each procedure.
- Cleans anesthesia machines and assures related equipment is
readily available for anesthesiology personnel.
- Interfaces with other departments in the retrieval of
- Retrieves used or contaminated instruments and equipment from
anesthesia cases for cleaning and disinfection.
- Restocks standardized, back-up, on-call, and heart carts
according to established policy assuring that necessary and
critical equipment is readily available.
- Performs Pyxis Anesthesia Medication Refill
- Fills medications for use by patients.
- Reviews computer reports to determine appropriate medication
- Fills patient medication orders for Pyxis Anesthesia Carts from
computer generated report. Returns unused medications to
appropriate storage location.
This document is intended to describe the generalized duties and
responsibilities, the specialized job functions, and the essential
requirements of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive
statement of all supplemental duties, responsibilities, or
non-essential requirements or reflect any accommodations made under
the American's with Disability Act, the Michigan Handicapper's Act,
or SJMHS's Return to Work Program.
Required Education, Experience and Certification/Licensure
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior experience as an Anesthesia Technician required.
- One year formal education preferred with background in medical
terminology, health sciences, EKG class or pharmacology would be
- Hospital critical care units preferred.
- Annual BLS certification required.
- Certification by the American Society of Anesthesia
Technologists and Technicians is desired.
Trinity Health's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health employs about 133,000 colleagues at dozens of
hospitals and hundreds of health centers in 22 states. Because we
serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize
the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and
health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that
knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize
that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our
world and that these differences often lead to innovative
Trinity Health's dedication to diversity includes a unified
workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention
and development), commitment and accountability, communication,
community partnerships, and supplier diversity.
Keywords: Trinity Health Corporation, Ann Arbor , Anesthesia Tech Full Time Evenings Ann Arbor, Other , Ann Arbor, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!